1 the habitation of wild animals [syn: lair]
3 a unit of 8 to 10 cub scouts
- Rhymes: -ɛn
home of certain animals
living room of a house
Pronounden (genitive: dens)
Definite articleden singular (plural: de)
- the (used before an
adjective preceding a noun)
- bilen - the car; den røde bil - the red car
- In the context of "archaic|lang=nl": Dative (singular or plural) masculine form of de.
- In the context of "archaic|lang=nl": Dative (singular) neuter
form of het.
- In den beginne schiep God den hemel en de aarde — In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth
- In the context of "archaic|lang=nl": Accusative singular
masculine form of de.
- De baron gaf den koetsier een wenk en het rijtuig rolde heen. — The baron gave the coachman a sign and the carriage rode away. (from the story Gaston von Frankrijk by J.J.A. Goeverneur)
Usage notesThe use of den was dropped from written Dutch during the spelling reform of 1947; de is now used instead.
Usage notesNormally only the nominative is used; other forms are archaic but survive in a number of idiomatic expressions.
Usage notesEnglish transcriptions of Chinese speech often fail to distinguish between the critical tonal differences employed in the Chinese language, using words such as this one without the appropriate indication of tone.
- it; third person singular, masculine/feminine gender. Nominative, accusative or dative.
- In the context of "before an adjective preceding a noun":
- den röda bilen - “the red car”
Den may refer to:
- Den (architecture), a part of a house similar to the family room, sometimes mistaken for a bedroom
- "Dirty"Den Watts, a fictional character in Eastenders
- Lair, a home that wild animals make for themselves
- Den (comics), a Richard Corben comic book series
- Den (newspaper), a Ukrainian newspaper
- Den (Pharaoh), a Pharaoh of Egypt
- The Den (television), Irish children's television program
- Denver International Airport (IATA code: DEN)
- Dens (anatomy)
- DEN (internet site) the digital entertainment network or den.net.
- Den (Battle Angel Alita), a fictional character in the Battle Angel Alita manga by Yukito Kishiro
- Den, the abbreviation for the orchid genus Dendrobium
- The Den, a football stadium that was home to Millwall F.C. in New Cross London, SE14
- The New Den, Bermondsey London, SE16, which is now the home of Millwall F.C.
- Denver Nuggets (Abbreviation: DEN)
- Denver Broncos (Abbreviation: DEN)
- The Den - The University of Cincinnati Men's Basketball Student Section
den in German: Den
den in French: Den
den in Italian: DEN
den in Dutch: Den
den in Kölsch: DEN (Watt ėßß datt?)
Babylon, Gomorrah, Sodom, adytum, ashram, asylum, bolt-hole, booking office, bordello, box office, branch, branch office, brothel, burrow, cabinet, cache, cathouse, cave, cell, cesspit, cesspool, chambers, chancellery, chancery, clip joint, cloister, closet, concealment, consulate, corner, corporate headquarters, couch, cover, covert, coverture, cranny, cubby, cubbyhole, dark corner, den of iniquity, den of thieves, dive, dugout, dump, earth, embassy, executive office, fleshpots, form, foxhole, funk hole, gyp joint, headquarters, hellhole, hermitage, hideaway, hideout, hidey hole, hiding, hiding place, hole, holy of holies, home office, ivory tower, joint, lair, legation, lodge, main office, mew, niche, nook, office, pandemonium, privacy, recess, refuge, retreat, run, sanctuary, sanctum, sanctum sanctorum, secret place, shop, sink, sink of corruption, sporting house, stash, stews, study, sty, ticket office, tunnel, undercovert, whorehouse